Tuesday, June 30, 2009

New Shirt & Earrings

Dad and I are sitting here in the hospital waiting for the doctor to arrive. I hope he has the results of the echocardiogram as that is the key bit of information Mom wants prior to making any decision. Mom is sound asleep.

I have no idea why this popped into my head but I remember when I was in the 9th grade. I had been asked on my first official date. Mom was so excited and she made a huge deal out of it. She took me shopping at the Nacogdoches equivalent of Ross Dress for Less at the time. We searched through racks and racks and racks to find the perfect velour aqua shirt and matching aqua earrings. We spent the whole afternoon getting me ready ... long bath, painting fingernails and toes, hair, makeup ... the works. I have no idea who the date was (I assume it was Rob Alexander since we dated most of high school) and I have no idea where we went but I do vividly remembering Mom and how exciting she made the whole experience. And I can remember the awful aqua shirt which I loved at the time. Its funny that I cannot remember my actual first date ... but I can remember Mom's reaction to it. One of my Mom's gifts is the ability to make the ordinary extraordinary ... its all in the approach and attitude.